Monday, June 7, 2010

David Bailey - Still Life

I saw a posting on SLAMXHYPE's blog saying David Bailey (who I had never heard of before) is exhibiting new work at Hamilton's Gallery in Mayfair London. When I saw the pics I fell in love. They remind me of some vanitas still life work I saw at the Vermeer exhibit in Vancouver.

David Bailey's work:



Vanitas Still Life art:



The word "vanitas" is Latin, meaning "emptiness" and loosely translated corresponds to the meaninglessness of earthly life and the transient nature of vanity. Paintings executed in the vanitas style are meant as a reminder of the transience of life, the futility of pleasure, and the certainty of death. They also provided a moral justification for many paintings of attractive objects. It is my favourite style of artwork.

No comments:

Post a Comment